Self-publishing is a field that lots of people have gotten into over the last decade. Some have done so well, others have failed. Learn how to manage your project—find the services that you need and decideif you can DIY parts of the book production and marketing yourself. Discover ways to make your book stand out from the crowd.
We are still building this section of our website. For hundreds of articles and frequently asked questions please visit the Australian eBook Publisher FAQ and blog.
Publishing and project management
- Why use a self-publishing service instead of going it alone?
- What is an ISBN and how many do I need?
- What companies should I register my new book with?
- What publishing brand should I use when I self-publish my book?
- What should go on the publishing details page of my book?
- What is front matter and back matter?
- How do I maintain creative control over my book?
- How to avoid the self-published look
- How long will it take?
- How do I get my book published?
Graphics and self-publishing
Book design for print and ebooks
Printing books and distributing them worldwide
- What are the major types of ebook and why would I need them?
- What will happen if I load my print PDF to Amazon?
- Should I go for a reflowing ebook or a fixed layout?
- Can my hard copy book be turned into an ebook?
- What is ebook quality assurance and why would I need it?
- How long does it take to create and test and ebook file?
- Troubleshooting Ebooks in the Amazon Kindle App for iOS
- How to manage freelancers to produce a better book
- Can you make my ebook accessible for people with a disability like blindness?
- Cross-references and back-links in ebooks
- What ebook platforms should I release my ebook on?
- How much will I earn from sales of my ebook?
- How do I prevent my ebook from being pirated?
- What are the pros and cons of DIY vs using an aggregator?
- What’s the royalties dashboard?
Marketing books globally
- Writing for the readers
- Identifying the best target market for your book
- Book meta-data optimisation
- The all-important author platform
- Why every author needs a graphic designer
- How authors can use social media banners and ads
- How to get professional book reviews
- Timing for book release and marketing
- Advertising your new book
- How do you sell books?
- Distribution and marketing printed books and ebooks
- Getting the links to your ebook right
- How to get my ebook to appear higher up in search results
- Book Marketing Action Plan—Frequently Asked Questions